The bachelor’s degree in graphic communication is intended to produce communication professionals in various fields and aims at preparing students for a variety of careers including graphic design, advertising and public relations.
Graduates of the programme will have communicative competence and expertise in communication fields like advertising, broadcast and print media and corporate relations and their skills will be useful in media houses, nongovernmental organizations, educational institutions, business enterprises and public relations firms.
The course seeks to:
1. Prepare students to be able to take up careers in advertising and graphic design and communication, and equip students to be critical and creative thinkers, who are highly intellectually competent in the interpretation of development and communication from the international, regional and national perspectives.
2. Provide students with sound academic and theoretical foundations, as well as practical skills in communication and development, and the effective and efficient application
3. Prepare students in the understanding and mastery of both print and broadcast media in an environment that encourages innovation and creativity
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements for Moi University, candidates must:
1. Have at least A in English, A- in Kiswahili, B+ in mathematics and B+ in arts and design.
2. Candidates with diploma qualifications in journalism, public relations, information technology, human resource development and other relevant areas will also be considered.
3. Mature candidates with a principal D and above in at least two subjects at A level in either sciences or arts subjects obtained in the same sitting may also be admitted.
CMM 100 Introduction to Communication
CMM 102 The History of Communication in Kenya
CMM 103 Introduction to Information Technology
IRD 100 Communication Skills I
IRD 101 Quantitative Skills I
IRD 103 Development Concepts and Applications
FRE 101 French for Beginners I (SASS)
CMM 104 Listening and Critical Thinking
CMM 107 Communication Research I
CMM 108 Introduction to Media Studies
CMM 109 Communication and Culture
CMM 110 Introduction to Graphic Communication
CMM 111 Communication Images in Africa
CMM 112 Communication and HIV/Aids
IRD 102 Communication Skills II
IRD 104 Quantitative Skills II