This is a one-year programme intended for people already in the profession of public relations who need further training or those people who want to acquire professional training with the aim of joining the profession. It is intended to equip public relations practitioners with the specialized knowledge and understanding of corporate public relations programmes and communication plans.
The main objective of the postgraduate diploma in public relations is to prepare professionals in this area. Thisprogramme combines theory and practice. It aims at providing the learners with knowledge and skills that will enable them to create and/or:
1. Maintain a positive image of the company/ organization.
2. Co-ordinate both internal and external communication activities.
3. Maintain relations with the media.
4. Compile, edit and publish information.
5. Have good interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Carry out research in relevant areas of Public Relations.
Students will be admitted on the common Moi University regulations for postgraduate diploma programmes. In addition, the postgraduate diploma in public relations applicant must have either:
1. Holder of a Bachelor’s degree with at least a lower second class honours or its equivalent from a recognized university, or
2. Holder of a Bachelor’s degree with a pass from a recognized university with at least 2 years working experience in any of the following areas: Media Studies; Human Resource Development; Social Sciences and languages; Public Relations/Administration; Education with a bias in linguistics and social sciences; Administration/Personnel Management or any other qualification recognized by Senate as equivalent to the above
One year of full–time attendance
Common Moi University examination regulations shall apply to programmes appropriately.
HRD 721 Introduction to Public Relations
HRD 722 Issues in Public Relations
HRD 724 Written and Oral Communication
HRD 725 Interpersonal Communication
HRD 726 Language, Culture and the Media
HRD 727 Research Methodology
HRD 728 Organizational Communication
HRD 711 Research Project