This curriculum is the product of a Commission for University Education report and the Moi University Council decision to harmonize programmes duplicating each other. As such, it is a harmonization of the Bachelor of Science in Media Science, Bachelor of Science in Communication and Journalismand Bachelor of Science in Graphics Communications and Advertising programmes.
In conformity to international nomenclature and current trends in media and communication research and scholarship with specific reference to journalism, media content, history and media effects, this programme is renamed, Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Media Studies. A broad-based integrated and harmonised programme offers possible pathways to journalism, publishing, graphics and media studies. The general aim of the programme is to train an all-round media professional.
The Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Media Studies degree programme is designed to produce competent media professionalsto work in the print, electronic and digital media industries. The programme istailored to produce graduates who can think critically on diversemedia issues and also work as professionals in the media industry. This curriculum has been designed and developed to meet the increased demand for persons with both critical and practical skillsin various aspects of the media industry. Teaching methods consist of lectures,seminars, practicals, written assignments, project work, field visits, individual reading, and research, problem-solving and practical attachment. The practical teaching uses equipment commonly used in the mass media industry.
Objectives of the Programme
The specific objectives of the programme are to:
1. Equip learners with appropriate study and communication skills for higher education.
2. Provide students with in-depth knowledge of the theoretical, academic and professional principles in the field of Journalism and Media Studies.
3. Prepare students in the mastery of practical techniques for print, broadcast,digital and social media in an environment that encourages innovation and creativity.
4. Equip students with the requisite skills and knowledge to take up careers in Journalism, Media management, public relations and corporate communications.
5. Train students to be able to design and carry out basic research and disseminate knowledge on various aspects of Journalism and Media Studies.
6. Offer students sufficient grounding in Journalism and Media Studies to be able to pursue postgraduate studies in the discipline and other related disciplines.
Expected Learning Outcomes of the Programme
On completion of the programme, the graduates will be able to demonstrate the:
1. Ability to study and communicate competently at an institution of higher learning.
2. Knowledge of the theoretical and academic principles in the field of Journalism and Media Studies
3. Competence to apply practical techniques in print, broadcast, digital and social media in an environment that encourages innovation and creativity.
4. Capacity to work competently as a professional in Journalism, Media management, public relations and corporate communications.
5. Mastery of basic research design, implementation and dissemination of knowledge in various contexts of Journalism and Media Studies.
6. Qualification to effectively pursue postgraduate studies in Journalism and Media Studies and related disciplines.
The admission requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Media Studies are:
1. Applicants must satisfy the minimum entry requirements of Moi University as stipulated in the statutes and will be selected on the basis of their performance in the following cluster subjects in KCSE: Mean Grade C+, English or Kiswahili (Minimum C+), Mathematics (minimum C-), best remaining subject in group (iii) and best remaining in group (iv) or group (vi).
2. Admission may also be granted to candidates who meet minimum entry requirements of the University and who are holders of KNEC (Kenya National Examination Council) diploma qualifications in journalism, media studies or related disciplines, or any other qualification awarded by an examination body recognized by CUE.
3. Admission may be granted to applicants with A‘level qualifications of two (2) Principal passes and a subsidiary pass as well as credit pass grades in ‗O‘ level in English or Kiswahili and Mathematics.
4. All admission criteria will be in accordance with prescribed CUE regulations as approved by Moi University Senate.
1. PSA 112: Government and Politics in East Africa
2. INS 112: Introduction to Information Technology
3. INS 113: Computer Applications
4. INS 115: Introduction to Publishing Studies
5. CMM 111: Introduction to Communication
6. CMM 114:: Introduction to Media Studies
7. JMS 111: Communication Skills
1. SAS 202: Critical Thinking
2. INS 126: Introduction to Journalism
3. CMM 122: English for Media Professionals
4. CMM 124: Public Speaking
5. JMS 121: Introduction to Digital Media
6. JMS 122: Media and Information Literacy
7. JMS 123: Media and Society